This is a great way to treat yourself while having some veggies this holiday season!
– 1 and 1/4 cup flour (spelt, white, or oat – a gluten-free mix could work as well but I haven’t tried yet)
– 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
– 1/2 cup + 1tbsp unrefined sugar
– 1/2 tsp baking soda or 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– optional: a 1 tsp of chia seeds mixed with 1 tbsp of water and/or you can use 1 tbsp of protein powder mixed with 1 tbsp of water.
– 1 cup finely grated zucchini (you want a packed up of ~225g)
– 1/4 cup coconut oil
– 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 3/4 cup coconut milk (full fat) or 3/4 cup unflavoured coconut yoghurt or, if you’re not dairy-free, 3/4 cup plain yoghurt. If you use the coconut yoghurt, the loaf will taste quite coconut-y.
– 1/3 – 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life’s mini ones).
Preheat your oven to 350F and grease your loaf pan with a bit of (coconut) oil and get your zucchini ready by grating manually or in pulsing in a food processor. Mix together all your dry ingredients and then all your wet ingredients. Once a smooth batter is formed, fold in most of your chocolate chips, saving some for sprinkling on top of your loaf. Pour the batter into your loaf pan, top it off with the extra chocolate chips, and bake for 35 minutes on the centre rack + 5 more minutes with the oven turned off (don’t open the oven door in between). Let it cool completely, cover it up, refrigerate for at least 3 hours, and then enjoy it after that for the best smooth texture. Should make 7-9 slices depending on how thin/thick you slice them.