Burrito and burrito-like bowls are staples at our place. You can add whatever you’d like or have in the fridge – I find these are great for using up veggie scraps or leftover bits and pieces of food! Here’s how I usually make mine:
- ½ cup cooked quinoa or rice
- ½ chopped tomato
- ½ chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped spinach or kale
- 1 tbsp pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ½ cup broccoli or cabbage
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas or black beans or chopped tempeh
- premade or homemade fajita seasoning mix (½ tsp each of cumin, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric powder)
Spice your cooked chickpeas/black beans/tempeh with fajita seasoning mix by heating a bit of oil, adding the spices until aromatic and then adding in the legume and a bit of water until the seasoning is absorbed.
Put your bowl together with the starch, veggies, and seasoned legumes, top off with Frank’s red hot sauce and other spices of your choosing. It is recommended that you cook your broccoli or cabbage with your legumes so they are easier to digest.