If you’re looking for a smoothie recipe that makes for a great breakfast, is plant-based, and packs in your micro- and macro-nutrients, this is it.
I’m not a morning person, so smoothies are a must in my life. They’re easy and I can make them (including clean-up!) in 5 minutes.
The basic considerations for a smoothie that is good for your blood sugar and hormones are:
- protein source (for satiety, bones, blood sugar, I like to aim for >25-30g of protein at breakfast time)
- healthy fats
- lots of plants for fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- liquid base, ideally unsweetened and mostly water
For PMS, some of the basic nutrition principles are (you can download a copy of those here):
- consume adequate fuel, focusing on protein for satiety and not skimping out on the carbs
- get lots of fibre, fruits and veggies
- have flax seeds
- include soy protein
From a Traditional Chinese Medicine (as well as other traditional practices’) perspective, a lot of cold and raw foods aren’t great for digestion, PMS, or period problems. They can contribute to digestive disturbances like excessive bloating and loose stools. That’s why I add hot water and cinnamon to my smoothies. Other herbs you could add to warm your smoothie up include ginger, turmeric, and nutmeg.
So, combining those principles above to create a smoothie is what brings me to the recipe below:
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water + 1/2 cup room temperature water (see note above about warming foods; this ratio brings the temperature of the smoothie to be a bit warmer than room temp)
- 1 cup raw greens or frozen cauliflower (sometimes a bit of both, or sometimes a bit of greens powder)
- 1 scoop (plantbased) protein powder
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- pinch of cinnamon powder
Actually, this is pretty much my breakfast smoothie (although it can change depending on what’s in the fridge and freezer!). Ultimately, you also have to like the smoothie you drink , so use the principles from this smoothie and use those as smoothie to make your own creation!